1. Azizkhan RG, Dudgeon DL, Buck JR, Colombani PM, Yaster M, Nichols D, Civin C, Kramer SS, Haller JA, Jr: Life-threatening airway obstruction as a complication to the management of mediastinal masses in children. J Pediatr Surg 20:816-822, 1985
2. Yaster M, Simmons RS, Tolo VT, Pepple JM, Wetzel RC, Rogers MC: A comparison of nitroglycerin and nitroprusside for inducing hypotension in children: a double-blind study. Anesthesiology 65:175-179, 1986
3. Wetzel RC, Marsh BR, Yaster M, Casella JF: Anesthetic implications of protein C deficiency. Anesth Analg 65:982-984, 1986
4. Yaster M, Koehler RC, Traystman RJ: Effects of fentanyl on cerebral and peripheral hemodynamics in neonatal lambs. Anesthesiology 66:524-530, 1987
5. Yaster M: The dose response of fentanyl in neonatal anesthesia. Anesthesiology 66:433-435, 1987
6. Maxwell LG, Yaster M, Wetzel RC, Niebyl JR: The safety and efficacy of penile nerve block for newborn circumcision. Obstet Gynecol 70:415-419, 1987
7. Yaster M, Buck JR, Dudgeon DL, Manolio TA, Simmons RS, Zeller P, Haller JA: Hemodynamic effects of primary closure of omphalocele/gastroschisis in newborns. Anesthesiology 69:84-88, 1988
8. Yaster M, Koehler RC, Traystman RJ: Interaction of fentanyl and pentobarbital on cerebral and peripheral hemodynamics in newborn lambs. Anesthesiology 70:461-469, 1989
9. Yaster M, Scherer LR, Stone M, Maxwell LG, Schleien CL, Wetzel RC, Buck JR, Nichols DG, Colombani PM, Dudgeon DL, Haller JA: Determination of safe primary closure of congenital abdominal wall defects using intraoperative predictors. J Pediatr Surg 42:1217-1220, 1989
10. Yaster M, Nichols DG, Deshpande JK, Wetzel RC: Midazolam-fentanyl intravenous sedation in children. Case report of respiratory arrest. Pediatrics 86:463-467, 1990
11. Spear RM, Yaster M, Berkowitz ID, Maxwell LG, Bender KS, Naclerio R, Manolio TA, Nichols DG: Preinduction of anesthesia in children with rectally administered midazolam. Anesthesiology 71:670-674, 1991
12. Nichols DG, Yaster M, Lynn AM, Helfaer MA, Deshpande JK, Manson PN, Carson BS, Bezman M, Maxwell LG, Tobias JD, Grochow LB: Disposition and respiratory effects of intrathecal morphine in children. Anesthesiology 79:733-738, 1993
13. Yaster M, Tobin JR, Billett C, Casella JF, Dover G: Epidural analgesia in the management of vaso-occlusive sickle cell crisis. Pediatrics 93:310-315, 1994
14. Maxwell LG, Martin LD, Yaster M: Bupivacaine-induced cardiac toxicity in neonates--successful treatment with intravenous phenytoin. Anesthesiology 80:682-686, 1994
15. Yaster M, Sola JE, Pegoli WP, Paidas CN: The night after surgery: Postoperative management of the pediatric outpatient-surgical and anesthetic aspects. Pediatric Clinics of North America 41:199-220, 1994
16. Yaster M, Koehler RC, Traystman RJ: Interaction of fentanyl and nitrous oxide on peripheral and cerebral hemodynamics in newborn lambs. Anesthesiology 80:364-371, 1994
17. Lenox WC, Kost-Byerly S, Shipley R, Yaster M: Pediatric caudal epidural catheter sequestration: an unusual complication. Anesthesiology 83(5):1112-1114, 1995.
18. Greenberg RS, Maxwell LG, Zahurak M, Yaster M: Preanesthetic medication of children with midazolam using the Biojector jet injector. Anesthesiology 83: 264-269, 1995
19. Yaster, M., Kost-Byerly, S., Berde, C., and Billet, C. The management of opioid and benzodiazepine dependence in infants, children, and adolescents. Pediatrics 98(1):135-140, 1996.
20. Wong, D.F., Harris, J.C., Naidu, S., Yokoi, F., Marenco, S., Dannals, R.F., Ravert, H.T., Yaster, M., Evans, A., Rousset, O., Bryan, R.N., Gjedde, A., Kuhar, M.J., and Breese, G.R. Dopamine transporters are markedly reduced in Lesch-Nyhan disease in vivo. Proc.Natl.Acad.Sci.U.S.A. 93(11):5539-5543, 1996.
21. Fisher QA, Shaffner DH, Yaster M: Detection of intravascular injection of regional anaesthetics in children. Can J Anaesth 44(6):592-598, 1997.
22. Harris JC, Lee RR, Jinnah HA, Wong DF, Yaster M, Bryan RN: Craniocerebral magnetic resonance imaging measurement and findings in Lesch-Nyhan syndrome. Arch Neurol 55:547-553, 1998
23. Kost-Byerly S, Tobin JR, Greenberg RS, Billett C, Zahurak M, Yaster M: Bacterial colonization and infection rate of continuous epidural catheters in children. Anesth Analg 86:712-716, 1998
24. Rich JB, Yaster M, Brandt J: Anterograde and retrograde memory in children anesthetized with propofol. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology 21:535-546, 1999
25. Greenberg RS, Billett C, Zahurak M, Yaster M: Videotape increases parental knowledge about pediatric pain management. Anesth Analg 89:899-903, 1999
26. Monitto CL, Greenberg RS, Kost-Byerly S, Wetzel RC, Yaster M: The safety and efficacy of parent-/nurse-controlled analgesia in patients less than six years of age.
Anesth.Analg. 91 (3):573-579, 2000.
27. Aram, L, Krane EJ, Kozlowski LJ, Yaster M: Tunneled epidural catheters for prolonged analgesia in pediatric patients. Anesth.Analg. 92 (6):1432-1438, 2001
28. Davis PJ, Galinkin J, McGowan FX, Lynn AM, Yaster M, Rabb MF, Krane EJ, Kurth CD, Blum RH, Maxwell L, Orr R, Szmuk P, Hechtman D, Edwards S, Henson LG: A randomized multicenter study of remifentanil compared with halothane in neonates and infants undergoing pyloromyotomy. I. Emergence and recovery profiles. Anesth.Analg. 2001; 93: 1380-6
29. Galinkin JL, Davis PJ, McGowan FX, Lynn AM, Rabb MF, Yaster M, Henson LG, Blum R, Hechtman D, Maxwell L, Szmuk P, Orr R, Krane EJ, Edwards S, Kurth CD: A Randomized Multicenter Study of Remifentanil Compared with Halothane in Neonates and Infants Undergoing Pyloromyotomy. II. Perioperative Breathing Patterns in Neonates and Infants with Pyloric Stenosis. Anesth.Analg. 2001; 93: 1387-92
30. Villemagne PM, Naidu S, Villemagne VL, Yaster M, Wagner HN, Jr., Harris JC, Moser HW, Johnston MV, Dannals RF, Wong DF: Brain glucose metabolism in Rett Syndrome. Pediatr.Neurol. 2002; 27: 117-22
31. Liaw WJ, Zhang B, Tao F, Yaster M, Johns RA, Tao YX: Knockdown of spinal cord postsynaptic density protein-95 prevents the development of morphine tolerance in rats. Neuroscience 2004; 123: 11-5
32. Tao F, Liaw WJ, Zhang B, Yaster M, Rothstein JD, Johns RA, Tao YX: Evidence of neuronal excitatory amino acid carrier 1 expression in rat dorsal root ganglion neurons and their central terminals. Neuroscience 2004; 123: 1045-51
33. Schwengel DA, McGready J, Berenholtz SM, Kozlowski LJ, Nichols DG, and Yaster M: Peripherally inserted central catheters: a randomized, controlled, prospective trial in pediatric surgical patients. Anesth Analg 2004;99:1038-43
34. Maxwell LG, Kaufmann SC, Bitzer S, Jackson EV, Jr., McGready J, Kost-Byerly S, Kozlowski L, Rothman SK, Yaster M: The effects of a small-dose naloxone infusion on opioid-induced side effects and analgesia in children and adolescents treated with intravenous patient-controlled analgesia: a double-blind, prospective, randomized, controlled study. Anesth.Analg 2005; 100: 953-8
35. Gottschalk A, Berkow LC, Stevens RD, Mirski M, Thompson RE, White ED, Weingart JD, Long DM, Yaster M: Prospective evaluation of pain and analgesic use following major elective intracranial surgery. J.Neurosurg. 2007; 106: 210-6
36. Guan Y, Yaster M, Raja SN, Tao YX: Genetic knockout and pharmacologic inhibition of neuronal nitric oxide synthase attenuate nerve injury-induced mechanical hypersensitivity in mice. Mol Pain. 2007; 3: 29-34
37. Maher EN, Hansen SF, Heine M, Meers H, Yaster M, Hunt EA: Knowledge of procedural sedation and analgesia of emergency medicine physicians. Pediatr Emerg Care 2007; 23: 869-76
38. Berde CB, Yaster M, Meretoja O, McCann ME, Huledal G, Gustafsson U, Larsson LE: Stable plasma concentrations of unbound ropivacaine during postoperative epidural infusion for 24-72 hours in children. Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2008 May;25(5):410-7.
39. Kost-Byerly S, Jackson EV, Yaster M, Kozlowski LJ, Mathews RI, Gearhart JP: Perioperative anesthetic and analgesic management of newborn bladder exstrophy repair. J.Pediatr.Urol. 2008; 4: 280-5
40. Heitmiller ES, Nelson KL, Hunt EA, Schwartz JM, Yaster M, Shaffner DH: A survey of anesthesiologists' knowledge of American Heart Association Pediatric Advanced Life Support Resuscitation Guidelines. Resuscitation. 2008; 79: 499-505
41. Liaw WJ, Zhu XG, Yaster M, Johns RA, Gauda EB, Tao YX: Distinct expression of synaptic NR2A and NR2B in the central nervous system and impaired morphine tolerance and physical dependence in mice deficient in postsynaptic density-93 protein. Mol.Pain. 2008; 4:45
42. Hammer GB, Verghese ST, Drover DR, Yaster M, Tobin JR: Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of fenoldopam mesylate for blood pressure control in pediatric patients. BMC.Anesthesiol. 2008; 8:6.
43. Park JS, Yaster M, Guan X, Xu JT, Shih MH, Guan Y, Raja SN, Tao YX: Role of spinal cord alpha-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoxazolepropionic acid receptors in complete Freund's adjuvant-induced inflammatory pain. Mol Pain. 2008; 4:67.
44. Lee BH, Lehmann CU, Jackson EV, Kost-Byerly S, Rothman S, Kozlowski L, Miller MR, Pronovost PJ, Yaster M: Assessing controlled substance prescribing errors in a pediatric teaching hospital: an analysis of the safety of analgesic prescription practice in the transition from the hospital to home. J Pain. 2009;10:160-166.
45. Singh OV, Yaster M, Xu JT, Guan Y, Guan X, Dharmarajan AM, Raja SN, Zeitlin PL, Tao YX. Proteome of synaptosome-associated proteins in spinal cord dorsal horn after peripheral nerve injury. Proteomics. 2009 Mar;9(5):1241-53.
46. Morad AH, Winters BD, Yaster M, Stevens RD, White ED, Thompson RE, Weingart JD, Gottschalk A. Efficacy of intravenous patient-controlled analgesia after supratentorial intracranial surgery: a prospective randomized controlled trial.
J Neurosurg. 2009; 111(2): 343-50.
47. Agthe AG, Kim GR, Mathias KB, Hendrix CW, Chavez-Valdez R, Jansson L, Lewis TR, Yaster M, Gauda EB: Clonidine as an adjunct therapy to opioids for neonatal abstinence syndrome: a randomized, controlled trial. Pediatrics. 2009; 123(5): e849-e856.
48. Nelson KL, Yaster M, Kost-Byerly S, Monitto CL. A national survey of American Pediatric Anesthesiologists: patient-controlled analgesia and other intravenous opioid therapies in pediatric acute pain management. Anesth Analg 2010; 110(3):754-760.
49. Singh OV, Yaster M, Xu JT, GuanY, Guan X, Dharmarajan AM, Raja SN, Zeitlin PL, TaoYX. Proteome of synaptosome-associated proteins in spinal cord dorsal horn after peripheral nerve injury.
Proteomics 2009; 9(5):1241-1253.
50. Atianjoh FE, Yaster M, Zhao X, Takamiya K, Xia J, Gauda EB, Huganir RL, Tao YX. Spinal cord protein interacting with C kinase 1 is required for the maintenance of complete Freund's adjuvant-induced inflammatory pain but not for incision-induced post-operative pain. Pain 2010; 151(1):226-234.
51. Xu JT, Zhao X, Yaster M, Tao YX. Expression and distribution of mTOR, p70S6K, 4E-BP1, and their phosphorylated counterparts in rat dorsal root ganglion and spinal cord dorsal horn. Brain Res 2010; 1336:46-57. Epub;%2010 Apr 24.:46-57
52. Wang W, Petralia RS, Takamiya K, Xia J, Li YQ, Huganir RL, Tao YX, Yaster M. Preserved acute pain and impaired neuropathic pain in mice lacking protein interacting with C Kinase 1. Mol Pain 2011; 7(1):11.
53. Yaster M, Guan X, Petralia RS, Rothstein JD, Lu W, Tao YX. Effect of Inhibition of Spinal Cord Glutamate Transporters on Inflammatory Pain Induced by Formalin and Complete Freund's Adjuvant. Anesthesiology 2011; 114(2):412-423.
54. Yang CP, Veltri MA, Anton B, Yaster M, Berkowitz ID. Food and Drug Administration approval for medications used in the pediatric intensive care unit: A continuing conundrum. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2010.
55. Firth PG, McMillan KN, Haberkern CM, Yaster M, Bender MA, Goodwin SR. A survey of perioperative management of sickle cell disease in North America. Paediatr Anaesth 2011; 21(1):43-49.
56. Hayes M, Yaster M, Haythornthwaite JA, Riekert K, Nelson K, White E, Mogayzel P, Lechtzin N. Pain is a common problem affecting clinical outcomes in adults with cystic fibrosis
. Chest 2011 June 9 (epub ahead of print)
57. Wang W, Atianjoh F, Gauda EB, Yaster M, Li Y, Tao YX. Increased expression of sodium channel subunit Nav1.1 in the injured dorsal root ganglion after peripheral nerve injury. Anat Rec (Hoboken). 2011 Aug;294(8):1406-11.
58. Monitto CL, Kost-Byerly S, White E, Lee CK, Rudek MA, Thompson C, Yaster M. The optimal dose of prophylactic intravenous naloxone in ameliorating opioid-induced side effects in children receiving intravenous patient-controlled analgesia morphine for moderate to severe pain: A dose finding study.
Anesth Analg. 2011 Oct;113(4):834-42. Epub 2011 Sep 2.Review Articles in Peer Reviewed Journals
1. Yaster M, Deshpande JK: Management of Pediatric pain - use of opioid analgesics. J Pediatr 113:421-429, 1988
2. Yaster M, Maxwell LG: Pediatric regional anesthesia - a review. Anesthesiology 70:324-338, 1989
3. Yaster M, Deshpande JK, Maxwell LG: The pharmacologic management of pain in children. Comprehensive Therapy 15:14-26, 1989
4. Yaster M, Maxwell LG, Nicholas E, Desphande JK: The management of acute pain in children with local anesthetics: A primer for the non-anesthesiologist. Comprehensive Therapy 17:27-35, 1991
5. Yaster M, Nicholas EJ, Maxwell LG: The use of opioids in pediatric anesthesia and in the management of childhood pain. Anesthesiology Clinics of North America, 9:745-762, 1991
6. Yaster M, Tobin JR, Fisher QA,Maxwell LG: Local anesthetics in the management of acute pain in children. J Pediatr 124: 165-176, 1994
7. Yaster M, Kost-Byerly S, Greenberg RS, Maxwell LG: The management of acute pain in the traumatized child. International Anesthesia Clinics 409-435, 1996
8. Yaster, M., Cohen, D., Monitto, C.L., Davis, P.J. The use of opioids in pediatric anesthesia and in the management of childhood pain. Am J Anesthesiol 23:182-189, 1996
9. Galloway KS, Yaster M: Pain and symptom control in terminally ill children. Pediatr Clin North Am 47:711-46, 2000
10. Golianu B, Krane EJ, Galloway KS, Yaster M: Pediatric acute pain management. Pediatr Clin North Am 47:559-87, 2000
11. Yaster M, Kost-Byerly S, Maxwell LG: The management of pain in sickle cell disease. Pediatr Clin North Am 47:699-710, 2000
12. Maxwell LG and Yaster M: Perioperative management issues in pediatric patients. Anesthesiol.Clin.North America. 18 (3):601-632, 2000.
13. Yaster M, Nichols DG: Pain management in the critically ill child. Indian J.Pediatr. 2001; 68: 749-69
14. Gottschalk A and Yaster M: Pain management after neruosurgery. Neurosurg Q 2007; 17: 64-73
15. Gottschalk A and Yaster M: Pain management after Craniotomy Part I. Contemporary Neurosurgery 2008; 30:(10)1-8
16. Gottschalk A and Yaster M: Pain management after Craniotomy Part II. Contemporary Neurosurgery 2008; 30:(11)1-8
17. Gottschalk A, Yaster M: The Perioperative Management of Pain from Intracranial Surgery. Neurocrit.Care. 2008
18. Galinkin JL, Demmer L, Yaster M. Review article: genetics for the pediatric anesthesiologist: a primer on congenital malformations, pharmacogenetics, and proteomics. Anesth Analg 2010; 111(5):1264-1274.
19. Yaster M. Multimodal analgesia in children. Eur J Anaesthesiol 2010; 27(10):851-857